29.8.14

Contrast Top



   
     My grandma bought me a sewing machine for my birthday this year and I was set on using it and learning how to sew, even if I ended up hating it. Since the only fabric store I'd ever been to had been a Joann's and remembering that most of inventory there consisted of candy corn printed flannel and bright tulle use for Renaissance fair costumes, I decided to venture elsewhere. I had heard that Mill End Fabrics was a go-to for many independent designers, so there I went and it was everything I had anticipated. Each material section seemed to open up an individual dimension of opportunity and with no specific projects in mind, it was near impossible to buy on a budget. I went with my instincts and bought three, high-quality fabrics in black and white. These two and an organic bamboo cotton that I hope to make something drape-y with this weekend. I first envisioned the dots to be used for a basic shift dress and the grid for a pair of trousers. After somehow hanging onto these ideas for almost three months now, I finally pulled out both fabrics and realized even if I did make the shift and pants, I would have enough left over to create something with a combination of both. Plus, being a complete beginner, a blouse is a less intimidating than a dress and pants. 
     So, that's the story. It's actually helpful talking about some of the process of a project to stay in a constructive mindset. In the short time that I've dabbled, I have found the entire sewing process, imperfections and all, to be a really great way to get immersed into a flow state. It can be difficult finding a starting point when you have all these ideas at once, but as soon as you get there, it's like everything organically aligns. Halfway through sewing this shirt, I actually envisioned pairing it with knee-length, leathery skirt and was stoked to find this one the next day! I rarely will buy pieces from big chain stores, but sometimes things just work and it's rad. 


shirt: made by me skirt: forever21 shoes: vintage






Second post complete! Thank you for reading!

8 comments:

  1. oh myyyyyyyy love that combo! You're great, I love your blog.
    Hugs,

    -V: http://mawabi-sabi.blogspot.com.es/2014/08/nada.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I think your top is gorgeous! And you made it too?! What a talented lady!

    xo
    Lost in the Haze

    ReplyDelete
  3. That top turned out perfect, I really really like it. I'd wear it in a heart beat too. You look great. Joining your blog... x

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...and I'm so totally with you on the sewing process. I feel the same way. Flow and things coming together in the end, that's just that. Good luck with your sewing adventures, i'll be checking in to see the results :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm looking forward to seeing your projects as well. :)

      Delete
  5. Wow! Great top, I love the fabric and shape, you obviously have a talent for sewing. I'm really hoping to get a little better at making clothes this year. My mum is an amazing seamstress but I've never had much patience for it! You've inspired me to try harder!! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so sweet of your to say! I think making clothes really is all about patience but, once you get that down, you can do anything. :)

      Delete

Thanks so much for reading! Be sure to leave a link to your own blog/website so I can check it out!